Auto Buying and Selling
In this section
Besides your home, the purchase of a vehicle is likely the biggest (and most important) purchase you will make. Most drivers will buy and sell a number of cars during their driving years. So, it is important to become both a wise consumer and seller. Most states have requirements for both auto sellers and buyers; if the proper paperwork is not filed with the state there can be repercussions ranging from time-consuming extra procedures to financial responsibility and liability issues.
When you decide to purchase a vehicle you'll need to do your due diligence. To get started, you'll want to take these steps:
- Research: Whether online or at the library, you'll want to read all you can about the model and make of the car you are interested in. Good sources of information are the consumer reports, the safety testing results and the reviews of the vehicles by experts in the automotive publishing industry.
- Decide if you are in the market for a new or used vehicle. A new vehicle will cost more but it does afford the latest in safety features and gas mileage and any cost of repair should be covered under warranty. On the other side, a used car can be easier on the wallet, may still have many serviceable miles yet to go and will likely be more economical to insure. Once you have done your homework you'll be checking out a lot of cars.
Once you have narrowed your search, be sure to call your insurance carrier to see how much the coverage you need will add to the bottom line.
When buying a used car always take the following steps for your protection:
- Order a Vehicle History Report: This should tell you if the odometer has been rolled back; if the car has reported damage from a flood or accident; and, if the auto has been used as a work vehicle, such as a taxi or police car.
- Have it inspected by your mechanic: If your trusted mechanic says it checks out fine, you're less likely to run into mechanical issues right away.
- Ask the seller to show you the current title and registration. Not having those documents may complicate your ability to transfer ownership into your name.
- If you live in a state where the license plates stay with the owner and not the vehicle, understand how you go about getting temporary tags.
If you decide to sell your vehicle, it's just common sense to advertise it widely and do the maintenance and cleanup that will show it off to its best advantage. But beyond that, there are some additional things to take care to make the sale go through as smoothly as possible:
- Find your title and registration. If you cannot find those documents, apply for duplicates at the DMV.
- Consider buying a Vehicle History Report. Having one on hand to show potential buyers will assure them of the condition of the car and give them confidence in dealing with you.
- Know what paperwork you need to supply to the new owner; some states require those documents to be notarized. Not all states require a Bill of Sale any longer; if you do need one, order the form through your state DMV or through a third-party provider.
If you buy a new car, the dealership will file the necessary paperwork to get your car titled and registered. If you buy a used car, you will need to process the paperwork yourself. Regulations, forms and amount of fees vary by state, so find out the proper steps in your state. The states will also have varying procedures when it comes to “unusual” transfer situations such as gifting a car, donating a car, transfer upon death or changing the names on the title; you'll need to check with your state DMV for the particulars.
Lastly, if you are purchasing a car and it does develop chronic mechanical problems, you may have recourse. All states offer a degree of protection to consumers of new cars under the individual states' Lemon Laws; some states take that a step further and offer a version of the Lemon Law to cover used vehicles as well. Check with your home state for the criteria you must meet to qualify for coverage by the Lemon Law.
Auto Buying And Selling Information From the Government
This page contains links to the information necessary to change ownership if you buy, sell, transfer or give a vehicle to another party. National Motor ...
Information about buying and selling cars in Wisconsin. ... Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m ...
Buying and Selling a Vehicle ...
Buy / Sell; Auto Repair; Auto Insurance; Transportation Licenses; Additional Resources; Common Carriers; Applications & Forms; Resolve a Problem. Resolve a Problem
Buying and Selling Vehicles Details Last Updated on October 18, 2012 Please ... It investigates motor vehicle fraud and other crimes, such as auto theft, ...
Auto Buying And Selling - General Administrative Services
... and members of their immediate households are prohibited from buying, directly or indirectly, ... How many vehicles does GSA Fleet sell, and when?
Get To Know How Auto ... a good idea of what similar vehicles are selling for ... still save you substantial money as opposed to buying ...
Auto Buying And Selling - About.com
Craig Jackson on Buying and Selling Collector Cars. Page 2. Autos; Classic Cars. Search. Classic Cars ... of their goals, what are they buying the car for.
Used cars purchases can be an intimidating financial transaction. When buying a used car, make sure you know how to inspect it and know what it's worth. Sames goes ...
eBay Motors' My Garage feature makes it easy to buy and sell car parts on eBay while ensuring compatibility, a good thing for buyers and sellers alike.
There are many steps to selling a used car ... The Federal Trade Commission is seeking the public's input on new and used car buying from dealerships through April ...
Craig Jackson on Buying and Selling Collector Cars Benefits and Risks for First Time Buyers. By Tony and Michele Hamer
Auto Buying And Selling - Helium.com
Automobile enthusiasts can find car tips and advice on car issues, including auto repair, buying and selling cars, antique cars, driving and safety at Auto Hub 360 ...
On Auto Hub 360, automobile enthusiasts and DIY car repair buffs join together to discuss antique cars, swap auto horror stories and review the latest models.
Clearing your car windows of ice is essential to traveling safely in the cold winter ... Auto Repair ; Buying & Selling Cars; Car Reviews; Cars; Driving ...
... preparing for buying a new home or other asset, ... including auto insurance, homeowner’s insurance, renter’s insurance, health insurance and life insurance.
Tips for traveling by car on Thanksgiving weekend; ... The best day of the week to buy and worst day of the week to sell shares; How to cash in U.S ...
Auto Buying And Selling - DMVAnswers.com
Whether buying or selling a new or used car, find out all you need to know to make the best auto deal.
Learn the basics of buying a new or used vehicle before you settle on your next ride.
Find answers on applying for a new drivers license, renewing, replacing or reinstating an existing drivers license and more. Teens, commercial drivers and ...
Do I have to obtain a vehicle dealers license to sell motorcycles? The requirements for auto dealers vary by state, but persons engaging in the buying and selling of ...
The requirements for auto dealers vary by state, but persons engaging in the buying and selling of vehicles ... Whether buying or selling a new or used car, ...